ACC’s Writer’s Studio Club hosts best-selling author, Felix Gomez

ACC’s Writer’s Studio Club held ‘The Art of Genre Writing’ on Monday, April 18th. Best-selling author Mario Acevedo was there to speak to students about writing professionally. Acevedo is best known for the Felix Gomez detective-vampire series.

Acevedo grew up an avid reader, but he wasn’t into writing until college, where he met someone who helped him develop a love for writing. Acevedo moved to Colorado and joined the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers club, there he met many people who shared his passions. This led him to the path of eventually publishing his first book, “The Nymphos of Rocky Flats”.  Acevedo doesn’t just author his own books, he also ghost writes for others.

Although Acevedo didn’t get his first book published for a long time, he didn’t give up. Now he is a successful author and, as a result, was able to give many tips to the students who attended the event. Acevedo discussed writer’s block, royalties, publishing and more.

Some of Acevedo’s tips about writer’s block was to push back the fear. He suggested that the writer in question tell themselves that their writing is important. Making short-term and long-terms goals is also helpful in pushing past the block. “Don’t wait for inspiration, just write” Acevedo said, “Thought follows action.” He also encouraged the writer to honor their own process and be honest with themselves.

Mario Acevedo’s presentation was intriguing and through it, he offered helpful counsel to aspiring writers. He isn’t the only author that has visited ACC. The Writer’s Studio Club hosts other authors each semester. This may have been their last event this semester, but they still have meetings on the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month from 4 p.m. -5 p.m.

For more information, email the club advisor, Kathryn Winograd, at [email protected].