Scholarship opportunities for ACC veterans

One of the many veteran benefits available to service men and women is the access to an affordable education. Much of this greater access is possible through the VA GI Bill as well as a variety of other sources, namely scholarships. Fortunately, the Veteran students of Arapahoe Community College have exclusive access to many scholarships at ACC.

One of these many scholarships is the Boundless Opportunity Scholarship. The award was donated by Veteran Vision for the Future in the amount of $30,000 and has provided 12 $2,000.00 scholarships to aid honorably discharged military veterans in need of extra tuition assistance. The ACC veterans department feels that because the recipients of this scholarship will demystify higher education for other veterans, its requirements, costs, and benefits will extend far beyond its recipients. The Boundless Opportunity Scholarship has made it possible to more fully provide for the successful reintegration of student veterans into campus and community life.

The $2,000 dollar scholarship requires its applicants to be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours at ACC and demonstrate financial need through the FAFSA. Applicant must complete an essay and provide a letter of recommendation, as well as be a legal resident of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, or Wyoming.

Another scholarship available to veterans is the Veterans scholarship. It is offered to honorably discharged Veterans with an EFC of $10,000 or less as determined by the FAFSA. Students who have not earned a bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling at ACC are considered. The scholarship covers any balance for tuition, fees and ACC Bookstore charges that are not covered by grant aid and/or third-party payments (i.e. VA benefits) up to $700 per semester. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credits per semester at ACC. Student must be in good standing with financial aid and ACC and have a 2.5 GPA or higher. They must also submit a copy of DD214 – member 4 copy.

Yet another scholarship available to veterans is through The Denver Southeast Rotary Foundation. They desire that the funds be awarded to Veterans with a minimum of one (1) year of active duty service. Veterans must have been discharged under an Honorable Discharge. In addition, spouses and former spouses are eligible for consideration if they are or were married to the Veteran while on active duty. This recognizes the fact that when the Veteran serves the Family serves. Duty shortened by medical discharge under Honorable conditions is an exception. Selection of students to receive the awards shall be determined by the appropriate Colorado Community College. However, veterans who served in a combat area as determined by the military with a war zone service medal or other designation, for 180 days or more, must be given preference, unless service is shortened due to combat related injuries. Students must enroll in a degree program or vocational certificate program to be eligible and attend at least half-time as defined by the Colorado Community College System. Scholarships can be used for tuition, books and or school supplies. Scholarship recipients must maintain at least a C plus (2.5 GPA) Academic average, or equivalent in vocational training at a Colorado Community College to be eligible for future funds.

The Veteran department is working toward making the 15-16 financial aid year just as successful in terms of scholarships for the men and women of the Armed Forces. The full list of available ACC scholarships is posted at arapahoe.edu/Scholarships. Scholarships will only be visible during active application periods (typically January 1 – May 15) and are due on May 15, 2016.