ACC Delays Student Government Election

Image by Element 5 Digital via Unsplash.

As the school year comes to an end, Arapahoe Community College (ACC) is working hard to prepare for the next academic year. One of the main ways ACC does this is Student Government Elections. This year though, elections were delayed. 

According to ACC’s Weekly To-Do email, sent by Dan Balski, director of Student Life, from March 27, applications for candidacy were due March 31. Elections were set to run April 3 through 10, with results being announced April 14. 

However, April 3 came and went without any announcement of the election, or any information on how students could vote. On April 10, the date the election was originally set to end, Balski announced that the election had been postponed. 

According to ACC’s Weekly To-Do email from April 10, the application deadline to join the 2023-2024 Student Government Association (SGA) has been extended to April 17. This, in effect, delayed the election. 

In an email, Balski said the extension was due to a lack of applicants. As of April 7, there were only three applicants. Balski also said the current SGA voted to delay the election. 

There are currently 12 open positions in the 2023-2024 SGA, including president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, inclusive excellence officer, state student advisory council representative and six senators. Applications are now open until April 17.

This year’s SGA election will now occur from April 18-24, with the link to vote sent out to students. Candidates will be notified on April 25 and results will be posted in ACC’s Weekly To-Do email on May 1.