Faces of ACC: Hannah Gray

Image via Hannah Gray

Hannah Gray is an adjunct instructor at ACC.

An intelligent, warm hearted and humble woman. A wife, a mom of twins who are eight and daughter that is seven. An instructor who commutes to teach at the Littleton and Castle Rock Arapahoe Community College (ACC) campuses, as well at Colorado Christian University. A devoted, empathetic, understanding individual who wants to help make her students successful in their educational careers. This is all Hannah Gray.

Gray has been with ACC since 2018. She is a part time adjunct instructor in the department of Composition, Creative Writing, and Journalism.

Gray grew up in the suburbs and mountains of California with her mother, father, and two younger brothers. She stated that, “I had a blessed childhood.” Gray attended a Christian private school up until sixth grade. She relayed how grateful she was for that, due to the financial sacrifice her parents made. Her parents put a lot of emphasis on education even though they did not have more than a high school diploma themselves.

Gray received a degree in English and her Master’s in fine arts with an emphasis in poetry. After graduate school, Gray began teaching English at an all-girls Catholic school, Saint Joseph’s High School in the Long Beach area for three years. Once her husband was transferred out to Colorado for his job, they made the big move. In Colorado, Gray started teaching at three community colleges: Red Rocks, Front Range, and Pikes Peak.

A sense of accomplishment for Gray as a part time adjunct instructor is the flexibility to adjust to constant changes in her department. Teaching at three locations involves different books, multiple department chairs, and policy changes. She doesn’t back down when changes get frustrating, she says, “I feel I am a team player.”

Gray especially felt rewarded when she was asked if she would be interested in teaching an open education resource course. Gray said, “Absolutely, if my students don’t have to buy a textbook and I can supplement it with what I need to, great!”

As far as the future goes, Gray shared, “I plan on staying as an adjunct instructor because, [the] majority of my other time I have, I want to devote to my children. I want to be present and involved, volunteer at their school and field trips.” In addition, Gray discussed her twins being special needs. Being a mom is a career in itself. Gray does an extraordinary job as she always puts her kids as the number one priority.

When Gray gets a chance to unwind, she enjoys reading novels and finds gardening therapeutic. Gray and her husband enjoy learning about regions of wine and traveling to Napa Valley for a getaway to explore wine vineyards.

Gray strives to connect with her students even if it is for a short time. Gray expresses, “teaching at community college keeps me grounded. I get to see many different lifestyles and experiences from my students that I may never be exposed to in real life. It keeps my mind open and it continues to develop and breed empathy in me.”