Who IS Scott and Why Should You Ask Him About Anything?

Foundling advice columnist needs your questions; and here’s why you should ask him.

When the 2016 Spring semester at ACC was wrapping itself up, a certain professor approached me.  He complimented my writing skills and asked how I felt about maybe writing for the Pinnacle the following semester.  I told him that I had already been giving the idea some thought, since he had been dropping not-so-subtle hints that he was looking for more Pinnacle writers in class throughout the semester.  He had then suggested that I potentially run an advice column of sorts.  My ego snatched at the idea immediately and refused to let it go.  I told him I would think about it over the summer.

Come fall, JOU226, which is the editing staff of the Arapahoe Pinnacle, was waiting for me on my class roster.  I had decided I wanted to write for our wonderful school paper.  The first day back to school, my professor (whose identity you’ve probably already guessed) agreed to meet with me in his office after class.  We pretty much solidified the idea that, yeah, I’m about to write an advice column for my school paper.

Over the course of the summer and the preceding weeks to the Pinnacle’s first release of the semester, I mulled over the thought of my advice column.  What direction did I want to take it?  What kind of advice would I give?  Why would anyone want to hear my advice about anything?  How do I want to help people?

I have actually never written for an advice column before.  But I read them constantly.  I’m particularly fond of the legendary Dear Abby and the wise Ask Amy.  Their answers are always smartly written and often encouraging, which is something I want to emulate in my own work here.  I strive to handle any advice doled out with a professional hand, a witty tongue, and compassionate heart.

The function of my advice column, for me, is not to entirely give do’s and don’ts, or to give the most rational course of action according to me, but to aid my readers in making those choices for themselves, emphasizing kindness in their actions, appreciation in their lives, and acceptance in their views.  I believe I can help make the world a little bit brighter, one question at a time.

Arapahoe Pinnacle Ask Scott advice column is by a student, for the Arapahoe Community College community.  Send any and all questions about life, love, and everything in between to [email protected].  Disagree with my responses?  Share it with your friends and drop it in the comments.  Think my answers are goofy or contrived?  Share it with your friends and kick it around in the comments.  Agree with me or have more to add?  Share it with your friends and be sure to comment!  Be sure to check out the Pinnacle staff’s profiles here  (and while you’re there, check out my staff profile to get all of my stories and columns).