The student publication of Arapahoe Community College in Colorado

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

Over Twenty Students Honored At ACC Student Awards

The accomplishments of several students were celebrated on this special afternoon

Now that lectures, tests, essays and labs are done, the class of 2024 has graduated and the semester is over. Along with the semester’s end comes the Colorado Community College System (CCCS) Student Excellence Awards, which recognizes the achievements of college students throughout the state’s 13 community colleges. While the CCCS Awards ceremony was held on April 10 at Denver’s Center for the Performing Arts, Arapahoe Community College had its own ceremony. This event was held on April 11 in the college’s Summit Room, and honored 27 students when ACC handed out 29 awards.

“I think award ceremonies are important because they’re an opportunity to put a spotlight on deserving students who have worked extremely hard over the semester and made a difference on campus,” said Alexa Fitzpatrick, who won awards for Mountain Mover and Outstanding Officer Student Government Association President.

“While all of them are thanked for their hard work, awards ceremonies are an extra cherry on top to show appreciation for everything someone does,” Fitzpatrick responded over email.

Pictured: Alexa Fitzpatrick

Because of the high number of guests that attended the ceremony, the Student Life team, who helped organize the event, had to add more chairs for guests to sit in, which really shows the significance of these awards. Along with those honored at the awards many friends and family also attended to celebrate their loved ones’ accomplishments.

For Fitzpatrick, the awards mean a lot. “I feel extremely humbled and honored to have won two awards. ACC has done a lot for me and I’ve gotten to do some incredible things through my time in student government and as student president,” Fitzpatrick said. “These awards will be a constant reminder of the amazing time I had in college and the people that I got to work with!”

Since starting her college education in 2021 Fitzpatrick has studied with the EMS program and is now working towards getting a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Science Emergency Service Administration. She is also a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), the Littleton Leadership Academy and is on the board of ACC’s Student Government Association (SGA).

In addition to these accolades, Fitzpatrick also won a CCCS Excellence Award, and the ACC Rising Star award, along with Isha Singh. Students Isabelle Tolar, Alexander Brainerd and Ripley Cusinato were named to the Phi Theta Kappa All-Colorado Academic Team. Finally, Elise Edwards was honored as the ACC Inclusive Excellence Champion. These awards were presented at The Center for the Performing Arts on April 10.

Fitzpatrick is one of many students whose lives have been changed by attending ACC. While many may only see a modest two-year university, both the students who attend the school and those who have attended in the past see something different. They see an institution that has provided them with great opportunities to better their futures.

“ACC has done a lot for me and I’ve gotten to do some incredible things through my time in student government and as student president,” Fitzpatrick said.

Throughout her years at ACC she has been involved in several SGA retreats and has volunteered during school events through the college’s Student Life Office. “These awards will be a constant reminder of the amazing time I had in college and the people that I got to work with,” Fitzpatrick added.

But Fitzpatrick isn’t the only one who won awards that day, many other ACC students were honored for their achievements. Such students include Greg Kruse who won an award for Service Learning Excellence, Noah Grenoble who won both the Mountain Mover Award and the Program Impact Award, Charisse Bacurio for Inclusive Excellence and Janelle Schwarting who won the Student of the Year Award.

Pictured (from left to right): Lisa Christiansen, Noah Grenoble, Janelle Schwarting, Elise Edwards, Sofia Flores, Guinevere Chambers, Maria Ruiz-Jargon; at ACC Student Excellence Awards

Schwarting is currently studying psychology and will graduate in fall of this year. According to ACC’s blog, after graduation, Schwarting plans to transfer to Colorado University of Boulder to achieve her BA in Speech-Language Pathology as a major, and Linguistics as a minor.

Along with many students who attend the college, the staff and faculty have been impacted positively, as well. Student Life Director, and the awards’ emcee, Dan Balski also feels privileged to be a part of the ACC community.

“I think it’s important to recognize the hard work of our students, both in their academic endeavors and their engagement outside of their classes,” Balski said over email. “Such annual traditions are looked forward to, for the students we recognize as well as for the employees who seek to recognize the greatness in our students. When we raise up such achievements, we honor the efforts of our winners and encourage their peers to follow in their footsteps.”

While the awards have become quite the event at ACC, they weren’t always so grand. Arapahoe Community College’s Student Excellence Awards started out as a virtual ceremony back in 2020 and continued to be virtual in 2021. It wasn’t until 2022 that the awards became an in-person event as coronavirus restrictions began lifting. Ever since then, the awards have been going strong, and the 2024 ceremony was no exception.

“We had a great turnout from our student winners, their nominators, and student guests,” Balski added. “The presentations to the winners were heartfelt and empowering to hear. It was also great watching the students celebrate their peers as they were recognized for their awards.”