The Study of Ourselves

The Study of Ourselves

Psychology is the study of the human mind. What does studying psychology here at Arapahoe Community College have to offer?

I sat down with the Faculty and Department Chair of the psychology department. A graduate of Stephen F. Austin University in Texas, Amy Wilkerson, M.A. studied experimental psychology and focused her thesis on auditory and visual perception. She wants you to know about the programs available here in this versatile area of study.

Arapahoe Community College faculty member Amy Wilkerson’s staff photo from the ACC website. Wilkerson is the faculty chair from the psychology department.

As many readers may have noticed while organizing their class schedule, first-year psychology courses are pre-requisites for several two- and four-year degrees as well as postgraduate studies. So, what’s in it besides knocking out a pre-requisite?

“A student will gain a lot of insight into how they learn,” says Wilkerson. She points out these introductory courses offer aid in your ongoing education. A student will gain the cognitive tools necessary to improve memory processes, set realistic goals and even gain an upper hand on their health and stress management—an enormous boon in the pursuit of higher education, no matter your degree path.

Perhaps students want to take the study of psychology beyond a first-year course. In that case, they have a few options. Here at ACC, students may major in Psychology, either attaining a “globally useful”  A.A. or a “scientifically organized” A.S. If students elect to go on to a four-year college and get a B.A. or B.S., they will find the world of psychology opens up a great deal of opportunity.

“A psychology degree… is so applicable to so many fields,” remarks Wilkerson. “You’ll find psych majors in business, health, education, environmental studies.”

She highlights a new offering: Forensic Psychology. This course will be especially useful to anyone interested in law enforcement, law school and virtually any role in the criminal justice system (cue the Law and Order dun dun.)

Interested? The American Psychological Association is a valuable resource for students considering this path, and ACC offers eight guaranteed transfer courses, plus, some unique initiatives. The psychology department is engaging with other fields to combine two courses via learning communities. “Literature and Psychology of the Apocalypse” combines LIT 115 and PSYCH 102, while “Sex and Cinema” unites a second-year human sexuality course with a humanities course, American Cinema

.

Finally, a bit of advice from the department chair.

“Stay curious and skeptical in balance… especially about news.” She suggests students each ask themselves: how do we become critical consumers of education? An education in psychology will help you along the way.