It’s a Good Day For a Good Day

“I adore your positive outlook on life; you make everyone happier.”  This wonderful little bit of encouragement was nestled right between a yellow cloud reading “When life knocks you down, keep looking up” and a yellow speech bubble boldly declaring that “You have the ability to be the best version of yourself.”  These colorful wisdoms are found on a pylon in the center of the ACC library.  As the library’s most recent outreach project, this cement pillar decorated in student-crafted kindness, is appropriately dubbed the Positivity Pole.

At last count, over 35 posts hung upon the pillar, though every day some more are taken or added.

The initial idea for the pole, which utilizes a “take/leave” approach, was fostered in the head of our library director whilst attending an Adele concert.  When closing her show, the legendary singer unleashed thousands of pieces of paper, each printed with her deeply emotional lyrics, that washed over her fan’s faces.  The crowd was encouraged to take the words home and keep them.  And a light bulb went off in our dear library director’s head.

During a pre-semester brainstorm session, the positivity pole was conceived and born (in less time than most humans, many experts would probably say, you know, if we asked them).  The project’s aims are two-fold: to reach out and encourage students and to gauge how students feel about services provided by the library.  Though the staff wrote out the first few posted bits of happiness, our fantastic student body has helped it grow, and grow, and grow.

Despite being only three weeks into the semester, the struggle to slog through is already being felt by students.  But many students are also trying, at least in some small way, to help others get through.

Just ask ACC’s Public Services librarian Casey Lansinger, who helps create outreach projects along with the rest of our library’s staff.  She stated that she is actually quite impressed with our student body’s involvement in projects like the Pole.  She believes, with solid evidence, that the students’ reactions to these outreach projects is an “awesome illustration of our student community;” that it really shows the kind of student community ACC harbors: a kind, supportive, excellent one.

I don’t know about you, but some days, I can really use some kind or gentle words to get me through.  The really profound thing about a project like this is that despite its relatively light-handed approach and passivity, the impact has been quite large and wonderful to witness.

When asked if she had a positive note she would like to pass on, Casey’s response struck me hard, simultaneously inspiring and deeply insightful:

“Everyone holds the answer to their own happiness.”