Finish strong, with help from the Writing Center

As the end of the semester approaches, final projects, essays and presentations loom over every student’s head. With the help of ACC’s Writing Center, you can polish up that paper, practice your speech, and get feedback from faculty members that want to help you succeed.

The Writing Center has many resources available to assist with your assignments. Students can schedule a 30-minute face-to-face appointment, in which a writing center staff member will read through your paper, offer suggestions for improvement or development, and assist with common grammar and citation errors.

Hung up on how to approach your topic? Book an appointment today, and the Writing Center will help you brainstorm ideas and draft an outline for your essay.

If you are an online-only student, or if you do not have the free time to sit for a 30-minute appointment, ACC students can register for the Writing Center D2L course shell and submit essays through the online discussion forum. A faculty member will review the submission and provide feedback via the student’s email address. Turnaround time can take up to 72 hours, so please plan ahead before you decide to use this feature.

On the Main Campus, in Littleton, the Writing Center is open Mon. – Thur., 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Friday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Students can also meet with a Writing Center faculty member at the Castle Rock Campus on Wednesdays, noon – 2 p.m., or at the Parker Campus on Monday noon – 3 p.m. and Wednesdays 3 – 5 p.m.

The Writing Center has opportunities for ESL students, with the ESL Writers Group, which is facilitated by faculty member Jason Schlueter. The group meets twice a week and is student-directed. Participants bring their graded or working papers and the group helps to locate recurring errors within each student’s work. Then, together, they attempt to locate the grammar rule that defines the error, work through examples and exceptions to the rule, and they often have follow-up homework to help cement the ideas. Whenever students do not present any problem assignments, they work through the Academic Word List to boost vocabulary and writing skills.