Getting a Feel for Things

ACC’s Shared Visions Exhibition is a collaborative project involving the ACC art department and students and staff from the Colorado Center of the Blind (CCB), demonstrating that art is more than mere eye candy.
Getting a Feel for Things
Image via Tim Meyer
A student from the Colorado Center for the Blind reads a braille caption of an art piece.
Multi-Sensory Experience

ACC students, primarily from the 3D and painting departments, worked alongside CCB artists to design a multi-sensory experience for the viewers. As a result, they created installations that can be touched and heard by the audience. Some of the pieces have sound recordings attached to the visual work, and all of them are meant to be felt for their texture. “This [exhibition] is a lot more accessible and incorporates different ways of experiencing art,” Colorado Gallery of the Arts manager Trish Sangelo said. “If you are visually impaired, we have the braille labels that allow you to read, and we have made sure that the experience can be done in any type of sense.”

A student from the Colorado Center for the Blind reads a braille caption of an art piece. (Image via Tim Meyer)
Abby Gunns work titled Buy or Goodbye comments on the grave consequences of not having healthcare coverage in America. Gunn encourages viewers to sit on the edge of the grass and feel the elements of the artwork.
Conceptual Works

The artwork in this exhibition is meant to go far beyond what is visually appealing to the viewer. The physical elements of each piece aim to engage the viewer in a concept that speaks to a broader social commentary. These works can inform an audience of an artist’s stance on a societal issue or reveal more about an aspect of an artist’s identity. “We’re engaging in a way that’s a little more academic, pulling the viewer in and expecting them to do some work,” Sangelo said. This type of gallery artwork can be much different than commissioned artwork in that the pieces should carry a specific message that the viewers can decipher through what they see, feel, or hear.

Abby Gunn’s work titled “Buy or Goodbye” comments on the “grave” consequences of not having healthcare coverage in America. Gunn encourages viewers to sit on the edge of the grass and feel the elements of the artwork. (Image via Carson Frost)
Ceramics piece titled Family Dinner by Nathan Brown. Brown encorages viewers to sit at the dinner table and engage with the dinnerware as you discover the cracks and flaws that we share.
Interactive Viewership

As mentioned before, the pieces are meant to be seen, touched, and heard. But beyond the sensory applications, the student artists want the viewers to actively engage with the work. One of the works included strips of paper that the viewers could tear off and discard, while another piece involved a butterfly with wings that could be pulled with a string. This allows the audience to feel as if they can exist in the world the artist is creating and therefore understand the feeling these works evoke.

Ceramics piece titled “Family Dinner” by Nathan Brown. Brown encorages viewers to sit at the dinner table and “engage with the dinnerware as you discover the cracks and flaws that we share.” (Image via Carson Frost)
Dyslexia by Tristan Dunning is an installation that represents the artists struggle with being unable to read, write, and spell. The color black is prominent in this piece, a symbol of struggle and darkness.
Developing Students into Professional Artists

The artists participating in this exhibition are doing so with the goal of expanding their talents so that they might one day make a living creating and selling their work. Because this project forces them to appeal beyond the sense of sight, the students have learned unique ways of executing what may seem to be a simple vision for an art piece. “This is a show were students have to think through a lot of different things,” Sangelo said. “They start with their concept, then think of how they will articulate that concept, what senses they will use, and then think about how they will fabricate their concept, meaning what materials they will use to make it. In art there is a lot of failure…but once it’s done and it’s successful, they will get to see how people interact with it.” For ACC artists and CCB students alike, this exhibition prepares them for the challenges and rewards that come with bringing a conceptual art piece to life. c

“Dyslexia” by Tristan Dunning is an installation that represents the artist’s struggle with being unable to read, write, and spell. The color black is prominent in this piece, a symbol of struggle and darkness. (Image via Carson Frost)
The Shared Visions Exhibition is being held at the Colorado Gallery of the Arts on ACC’s Littleton campus and is open to the public November 7-December 5.