Graphic Design student Katie Powers finds passion in her Art and Design Center classes

Humans of ACC is a series of Q&A presentations about students, faculty and staff.

Today’s focus is on Katie Powers, current Graphic Design student at ACC’s Art and Design Center.

Arapahoe Pinnacle: Why did you want to pursue graphic design?

Katie Powers: I wanted to pursue graphic design because I have always been intrigued with how we, as humans, have communicated visually throughout history. Visual communication has had such an impact on our world; I want to be a part of it!

AP: Has graphic design always been a passion for you?

KP: Honestly, no. Not graphic design specifically. That happened later. Starting at an early age, I always knew I wanted to find a creative job. I received my first degree in 2010 with a Bachelors in Fine Art from Colorado State University. My concentration was in Pottery, and my minor was in Art History. I then went to Metropolitan State University to acquire a teaching certificate in Elementary Education. I had every intention of becoming an art teacher, but could only find jobs in the regular classroom setting. When I was immersed in the world of education, and all of its politics, I burned out fast! I missed the art world and decided to get back into it. After trying to figure out what would make me happy, and keep me interested, I decided to go back to school for a degree in Graphic Design. The passion came when I started taking classes. I haven’t looked back since.

AP: How do you get inspired creatively with new assignments given to you by your teachers?

KP: Pinterest. I feel a little embarrassed by that, but it is true. I have been so inspired by some of the most amazing designs, logos, branding, and art pinned on Pinterest. I then sketch out layout and ideas. Everything is done on the computer these days, but it is so amazing what a little pen to paper action can inspire!  

AP: What would be your ideal job after leaving ACC? 

KP: I would love to get a job as a Junior Designer for a design house in Denver. I have my eye on a certain company that is very prestigious and has done phenomenal work not just around Denver, but around the world. It would be a long shot to get on with them, but a girl can dream, right?!

AP: What was the last book you’ve read for fun?

KP: The Nightingale by Kristen Hannah. I just finished it a couple weeks ago, and it has made it onto by top 10 favorite books of all time. I highly recommend it! It is not for the faint of heart, though. I would have a box of Kleenex ready.