The student news site of Arapahoe Community College in Littleton, Parker and Castle Rock

Arapahoe Pinnacle

Filed under Environment, News

Mexico Suffers Second Earthquake in Two Weeks

Dozens+of+buildings+collapsed+in+Mexico+City.+%E2%80%9CThe+priority+at+this+moment+is+to+keep+rescuing+people+who+are+still+trapped+and+to+give+medical+attention+to+the+injured+people%2C%E2%80%9D+Mexico%E2%80%99s+president+said.+Credit+Adriana+Zehbrauskas+for+The+New+York+Times++
Dozens of buildings collapsed in Mexico City. “The priority at this moment is to keep rescuing people who are still trapped and to give medical attention to the injured people,” Mexico’s president said. Credit Adriana Zehbrauskas for The New York Times

MEXICO CITY suffered a 7.1 magnitude earthquake on September 19, 2017. The damage is extensive; the worst many have ever seen. More than 200 people have already been declared deceased. Dozens of buildings collapsed and many people were trapped in the rubble. Major highways are damaged and the airport is closed for inspection.

The epicenter of the earthquake was reported to be 76 miles southeast of the capital, near the town of Raboso in Puebla. The New York Times describes some of the harrowing situations that face people as they absorb the magnitude of the destruction, grieve the loss of life, and regain existing strengths to rescue, recover and rebuild.

Two weeks prior to this earthquake that hit Mexico City, an 8.1 magnitude earthquake hit the Pacific coast of southern Mexico.  Now this one in Mexico City, eerily occurring on the anniversary day of a 1985 earthquake in Mexico City, claimed over 9,150 lives.

As reported by the Washington Post, experts say it is unlikely that the one earthquake caused the other to occur; but that, “the same large-scale tectonic mechanism caused both events.”

Thousands of rescue workers have been dispatched to help.  CBS News offers details on the multiple relief effort organizations, such as the Mexican Red Cross, and the various ways people can donate money.

The Director of news organization Oxfam Mexico, Ricardo Fuentes-Nieva, was quoted as saying about the situation:

People are responding, self-organizing, working with authorities, contributing to the rescue efforts,” Fuentes-Nieva said. “The Mexican people are taking control of the recovery. It’s one of the most inspiring things you can see.”

President Trump issued a statement on Twitter.  He said:   

“God bless the people of Mexico City. We are with you and will be there for you.””

— President Trump

According to CBS News, President Trump also spoke with Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on the phone, offering resources and to help with coordinating efforts.  President Trump could utilize the opportunity to help Mexico and repair another breach–diplomatic relations.