In this club, your future could be history

World War II is old news for most people. But not for members of ACC’s History Club.

“We have a blast in history club,” says Elijah Dicks, adviser, who is an instructor in History “It’s a very laid back environment.”

You don’t have to be a history major to enjoy studying and discussing history.

“While we have a couple history majors, the majority are non-history majors,” Dicks said. “We’ve had a few students that have discovered a passion for history and changed their major as a result of attending History Club.”

The club, which has more than 20 members, meets every Thursday in M4970 at 2:30 pm. Students are encouraged to join or stop by for any meeting.

One History Club member, Anthony Williams, likes the club’s open concept. This enables him and the other members to dive into any history interest that they have. Williams, a first-semester student, wants to major in business and marketing. But he finds history interesting, especially the way people thought about the world in the past.

Though most people have a favorite historical figure, asking a history buff to single one out becomes a loaded question. “This is a tough question,” Dicks said. “I’m fascinated with dozens of historical figures, both heroes and villains, so it’s difficult to name just one.

“At present I’m developing a new game for one of my ‘Immersive Game-Based Learning’ history courses on the Gilded Age, so I’ve been researching a lot about the major robber barons of the period,” he said. “I’d have to say that the one I find most interesting is Jay Gould, due to the contrast between the evil public image that he cultivated and his secret altruism.”

Even if you haven’t spent much time studying history, this club offers an opportunity for you to grow an appreciation days of old. For more information head here.