Disc golf: Join the club — or play anytime, at your own pace

A bright, midmorning sun shone over the tall pine trees adjacent to the ACC Annex Building as student Katherine Arons threw a bright red Frisbee-like disc at the basket that served as the first hole of Arapahoe Community College’s disc golf course.

This was Arons’ first time playing disc golf. Like so many other ACC students, Arons did not even know about the course until she was approached one September morning with the invitation to play a quick game of disc golf.

“I had seen people playing it before, but I didn’t know what it was,” she said. She soon learned it was one of the sports-themed activities available at ACC. The course is the meeting place for the Disc Golf Club’s twice-weekly activities, but it is open to non-members, as well.

After checking out a bag of discs from the Student Life office, she headed out the second floor doors south to the tee-box of the first hole. The basket, situated between several majestic pine trees bordering the west side of the Annex Building, was a small target, and the pine trees were larger – making them great obstacles for wild throws.

From the first hole, it was easy to find the second and succeeding holes because a course map is provided with every disc golf set.

After completing the nine-hole course, Arons was pleased with the challenge and its relaxing result.

“I feel like I can concentrate so much better now. I’m going to play disc golf way more often,” she said.

Students may check out a set of discs with their student IDs (no fee is charged) from the Student Life office, or they can join the Disc Golf Club, which meets at the disc golf course on ACC’s southwest lawn every Monday and Wednesday at 5:30 p.m.