Club swap offers new clothes, accessories

ACC’s Sustainability Club needs your time, as well as the shirt off your back – and a lot more.

And maybe you need something new to wear.

Here’s the deal:

The club will be hosting its clothing swap on Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 14 and 15, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days. It will be on the Littleton campus in the Student Lounge on the Second Floor.
The events are free and open to all.

The club strives to teach its members and the community about eliminating habits that are detrimental to the environment. Club members also adapt these changes themselves, most notably by creating a community garden near the Littleton campus. The club will not meet this semester except to host the clothing swap, but any students interested in joining for future semesters may contact the club’s faculty advisor, Lori Tigner.

The club strives to teach its members and the community about eliminating habits that are detrimental to the environment. Club members also adapt these changes themselves, most notably by creating a community garden on the Littleton campus. The club will not meet this semester except to host the clothing swap, but any students interested in joining for future semesters may contact the club’s faculty advisor, Lori Tigner.

The Swap is an opportunity for students to spruce up their wardrobes for a great price – free – while helping a good cause.

But there’s a catch, sort of. The club needs your gently used clothing and accessories that still are in good condition. Students may donate anything wearable: clothing for adults or children, jewelry, scarves, purses and even shoes.

The swap will feature a professional section for students looking for clothes for work, internships or interviews.

In addition to clearing out some things you no longer want, and getting some things you can use, you’ll be helping the environment.

The club has no limit on how much you can donate, even if you do not want to swap for something else.

Also, it is not necessary to bring anything in order to pick out some new, free clothing – although the club strongly encourages people to donate if they plan to take something home. Tigner said no limit has been set on the number of items a student can take. They need not be swapped one for one, she said.

In addition to everything else, donors will be helping fellow students who do not have the funds to purchase some of the clothing they need.

A donation of time also is very valuable. The club needs volunteers to help with the clothing swap. More details are available from Tigner at [email protected].

EarthEasy, an environmental advocacy site which offers tips on sustainable living, says about 12 million tons of clothing waste is generated in North America annually.