Student Success operation has that name for a reason — and it’s free for everyone

Student Success operation has that name for a reason -- and its free for everyone

Image via Savannah Putman

Just as lighthouses help vessels navigate difficult waters, the ACC Student Success Center helps students navigate difficult courses.

The Center provides a number of opportunities, at no extra charge. Tutoring costs are included in tuition and fees.

“It’s just myriads of help we can provide students,” says Debra Goldberg, coordinator of the center. “Come to the center with a couple of classmates… and ask questions.”

The center is open Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. The staff is available for drop-ins, as well as appointments, and offers tutoring in any subject. All a student has to do is request help in a specific class — from English to Java, from biology to programming. The center has peer tutoring for everything.

After being approached by a student, Goldberg and her staff will talk to a teacher of the subject. After that, an advanced student – or a student who is part of the honors society will be referred. These students are peer tutors who have aced their classes and can help new students.

The tutors also teach students how to properly use the D2L system, the Library, math lab and more.

Asked what students can do to use the center in the best way possible, Goldberg said: “Ideally, they could come prepared.” That means bringing the essentials such as specific assignment, text and so forth.

Although the center has a staff of 20, the peer tutors change every semester.

“It’s quite a mentoring program,” Goldberg said. “We’re always looking for excellent students for next semester.”

“If you are interested, all tutors are students… and we’re looking for others.”

The center pays peer tutors ($10-$15 per hour) when they help other students. She and her staff look for “personalities to engage,” Goldberg said. “I’m proud of my tutors.”

In addition to providing tutoring, the Center offers a wealth of other information, and more.

“We have a number of workshops that are offered all semester,” Goldberg said. These workshops provide insight in many areas, including how to:

• Prevent procrastination.

• Decrease test anxiety.

• Reduce stress.

• Build speeches and presentations.

Although these workshops have specific dates, students still may ask a peer tutor for help on any of the topics the sessions cover.

For more details, go to:

• https://www.arapahoe.edu/sites/default/files/shared/images-pdf/student-resources/tutorial/fall-2015-workshops.pdf

• https://www.arapahoe.edu/student-resources/student-success-center