The student publication of Arapahoe Community College in Colorado

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

Throwback Thursday: Burnt meal sets of ACC fire alarm

Image via Lillian Fuglei

Editor’s Note: This was originally published on Oct. 6, 2003, in the Arapahoe Observer, Arapahoe Community College’s student paper at the time. 

ON Wednesday, October 1, the entire main building of ACC was evacuated for approximately 20 minutes. The fire alarm sounded at 12:40 pm giving the students, faculty and counselors the opportunity to follow fire drill procedures and exit out the nearest door. Many students said they welcomed a few moments in the warm fall sun with a chance to chat.

In the meantime, the Littleton Fire Department and the on-campus police located the culprit, an overcooked and now smoldering “Celentano Manicotti” in a microwave oven on the main floor. Sources near the microwave said that the meal was rendered an inedible mess.

The cafeteria on the first floor experienced an unexpected loss in revenue as students standing in line when the alarm sounded simply walked out the door with food and money in hand. Several students left food trays, trash, and garbage sitting on the tables for the cafeteria to clean up later. It was also reported that the fire alarm has sounded for various reasons over the years and that smoking burnt popcorn in microwave ovens often are found to be the source.