Pro and Con: ACC students assess reactions of Texas police, teacher to Muslim boy’s wired-up clock, ensuing controversy

September 25, 2015

A Muslim boy, 14, was detained and handcuffed after he brought a clock with several wires protruding from it to a suburban Dallas high school on Sept. 14, The New York Times reported, quoting a dispatch from The Associated Press. A teacher who saw the clock had become alarmed (thinking it could be bomb parts) and called police, who judged it to be “suspicious in nature,” according to the AP. A furor ensued, with some claiming the boy’s religion was a key issue. Observers lined up on both sides — with some criticizing police officers and others praising them. Even President Barack Obama weighed in on Twitter with a supportive message for the boy, Ahmed Mohamed.

Below, two ACC students assess the broader situation. One takes a pro side, the other takes a con side.

First Priority: Protect All Students

First Priority: Protect All Students

The police might have used excessive tactics when arresting Ahmed, but their efforts to protect other students and teachers was understandable.

We frequently hear about yet another school shooting, act of violence or threat.

Then many of us focus our blame on law enforcement officials not doing their jobs efficiently – stopping these acts before they happen.

But this time, when they were overly cautions, we cry outrage at how the treated 14-year-old Ahmed by detaining and handcuffing him after he brought a clock and some wiring to school.

Thousands have flocked to social media – taking both sides – asserting that he is a genius-to-be, a foolish kid or something in between. Even President Barack Obama took to Twitter to support Ahmed.

But let’s step back for a second, dial back the outrage and look for a civil interpretation. Ahmed could have mentioned – in advance – to his teacher what he planned to do. He could have sought, and presumably received, permission from the school staff and security to bring in his project.

In that scenario, the police or school officials could have met him, inspected the project and given him clearance.

It seems so simple, right? But it isn’t.

According to The New York Times, the President’s spokesperson said it was an example of “unreasoned prejudice in an era when the country is fighting Islamic terrorism at home and in the Middle East.”

This statement just adds fuel to the fire by race-baiting.

Let’s say a white male student did exactly what Ahmed did, and was dealt with in exactly the same way. People would read the story, then say, “What an idiot. He should’ve known better.”

Police and school officials have to be very cautious when any student – regardless of race, ethnicity or religion – brings to school a case containing a clock and some wiring, and does so unannounced.

Regrettably, we live in a world of fear these days. In retrospect, a different approach would have been better.

But police and school officials didn’t have the luxury of assuming things are OK when they have yet to make sure.

So which is it America? Should we cry about the police not doing their jobs efficiently and run the risk of a catastrophe, or of them acting quickly and decisively?