The student publication of Arapahoe Community College in Colorado

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

Pinnacle Classic- The Elderberry Way to a Cold Free Winter

now-03299-8This story was originally published on Oct 10, 2016.

Fall is right around the corner, and the flu and common cold are ready to attack.  With one supplement, sick days and call-ins can be effectively reduced.

Lucky for you, elderberry and zinc come together in a combined lozenge that is available at most groceries stores and easy on the wallet.  This convenient herb and mineral supplement can boost your body’s ability to battle viruses and fight off symptoms before your immune system is leveled.

The benefits have long been praised from the beginning of modern medicine to 1995, where it was implemented to combat a mass flu pandemic in Panama.  A study done during Norway’s 1999 – 2000 flu season tested the effectiveness of this berry syrup, as Thom, et al concluded, “Symptoms were relieved on average 4 days earlier and use of rescue medication was significantly less in those receiving elderberry extract compared with placebo.”  This is a powerful tool in getting rid of flu like symptoms, but when combined with zinc it becomes a must have in the medicine cabinet.  I am by no means suggesting this is a cure all for colds and the flu, but rather a great supplement to any regimen you have already found effective.

Still skeptical?  Why not give it a try anyway?

According to Dr. Neil Levin, “Zinc lozenges work against viral infections because they slow the replication of the virus.”  This evidence strongly supports using this blend to get ahead of the common cold and flu viruses by supplementing at the first onset of symptoms.  Worst case scenario is you suck on a crappy tasting lozenge and are still just as sick as you were before; the best case, on the other hand, is you kick that flu in the you know what!

I suggest the lozenge form as oral absorption has always proved to be faster acting than medicine delivered in capsules.  Be aware, they come with an acquired taste.  If it is too unique of a flavor for you, try putting it in a lemon lime Gatorade and sip on that.  I implore you to make this an essential addition to the chicken soup, Gatorade and Tylenol regimen often used to get through these trying times.  Jump on the elderberry bandwagon and grab a bottle today.  Store it in your wellness toolbox for the morning you wake up with a sore throat or ignore my advice at your own peril; after all, who wouldn’t cut the flu in half if they could?

*Editor’s note:  Please be aware that almost all herbal supplements on the market are untested and unregulated.  This means that many do not have the ingredients they advertise, and most do not have them in the advertised amounts.  On top of this, many herbal supplements are found to contain a litany of other unlisted ingredients, such as oat grain or sawdust.  This is evidenced in study after study.  Please take any supplement, whether sold online or Walgreens, with measured caution.