Pharmacy Tech Program offers rigorous courses for serious students

Looking for a certificate program in a science program involving hands on community and classroom work along with guaranteed high level of employment? Look no further than the Pharmacy Technician Program offered right here at ACC.

The program spans two semesters of 15 weeks and is designed in accordance with the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) to guarantee students with the best quality of learning and prepare them for pharmacy fundamentals and technical skills essential to entry-level positions in the workforce.

The ACC website goes into a lot of informational and technical detail to explain the program. Due to it being a certification program, it is work-intensive and designed for those serious about pursuing an entry-level position as a pharmacy technician. Working along with ASHP, the program guarantees a high level of employment in this position.

All courses most first have acceptance into the program, or written approval of the PHT Department chair.

The second semester of the program is divided into classroom and laboratory courses followed by eight weeks of externship, where students work in both community and institutional pharmacy settings.
All courses for the program are offered as an online/hybrid format, along with mandatory face-to-face campus sessions that facilitate hands-on learning in a simulated pharmacy lab setting.

After completion of the externship phases, students will be prepared to sit for the national pharmacy technician certification exam offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board, and a clear background check and drug screening will be taken at random.

It may all sound intimidating with the seriousness of this program. But upon completing the program, students will be awarded a certificate in Pharmacy Technician, and be considered for immediate employment. The strict rules and procedures set into place are intended to attract only those who are serious about pharmacy, and who have a passion and not merely an interest.

This is a list of the required courses in the program:

Major Courses (27 credit hours)

• PHT 111 Orientation to Pharmacy
• PHT 112 Pharmacy Law
• PHT 113 Pharmacy Calculations
• PHT 115 Pharmacology I
• PHT 116 Institutional Pharmacy
• PHT 117 Communication for Pharmacy Technicians
• PHT 118 Pharmacology II
• PHT 119 Community Pharmacy
• PHT 170 Pharmacy Clinical: Institutional
• PHT 171 Pharmacy Clinical: Community

Those serious about enrolling in the program can find more information here.