For job interviews: Prepare well, pay attention, look and act the part

Interviewing for a new job can be nerve-racking, even for experienced and qualified students – but it doesn’t have to be.

“A little anxiety is good,” said Staci Kianpour, career counseling intern at ACC. It’s normal for candidates to be nervous for an interview, as long as the anxiety is not debilitating. High levels of anxiety must be handled before going to an interview.

Kianpour said one way to handle pre-interview nerves is to thoroughly research the company, the position and the people. The more familiar you are, the less nervous you will feel. Familiarizing yourself with a company is crucial to an interview’s success. Luckily, learning about companies and their employees is easier than ever thanks to the internet and social media.

Arriving early also is essential. If a candidate shows up late for an interview, most employers will immediately write them off as irresponsible and unreliable.

“Right on time is late,” Kianpour said. She suggests showing up at least 15 minutes early. If you aren’t familiar with the interview’s location, visit it the day before the interview or leave home extra early.

Always dress professionally. Many interviewers decide not to choose a candidate the moment they meet based on the way they are dressed. If a candidate is dressed well, then they are much more likely to be chosen.

“When in doubt, dress up,” Kianpour advised.

Candidates always should arrive prepared. Bring a pen and notepad and several resume copies. Prior to an interview, the candidate should also research the company and position and have questions ready for their interviewer. It’s also a good idea to research the current employees on sites like Linkedin to see if you will fit into the company’s culture well.

Never bring food or drink to an interview. Although it is becoming more commonplace to carry coffee or tea everywhere, an interview is not the place for beverages. Try chewing gum on the way to an interview to fight bad breath, but it needs to be thrown out before you enter the building.

Lastly, pay attention to both verbal and nonverbal communication.

“Half the interview is non-verbal,” says Kianpour. If you slouch during the interview, that sends a negative message to the interviewer. Sit up straight, keep your head up, and make eye contact. If you are nervous or are not very good at verbal communication, take a video of yourself practicing an interview and look for nervous body language. ACC’s career counselors can also help students by performing mock interviews and offering tips.

For more suggestions for successful interviews, students and alumni can also contact ACC’s Career Services Center. The counselors here can help students with resumes, perform practice interviews, and provide career placement testing to help match job-seekers to a career they will love. Best of all, these services are free.

To set up an appointment, call the Career Center at 303-797-5805.