Penis Envy, Pizza and Class Registration: What You Missed at Pizza With the Psychology Professors

You read that correctly: there was talk of penis envy (and its cringe-inducing origins) and registration for psychology courses in the Fall between mouthfuls of pizza; there were discussions on the historical views of PTSD and psychology textbooks through sips of soda; conversations about the myth of “intelligence types” and “learning styles” were followed by inquiries about what path a prospective or current psychology student should take, all the while the stacks of Little Caesar’s grew smaller and smaller.

All of this talk took place in a setting surrounded by classic components of psychological understanding, with Skinner boxes accompanied by their obligatory rats, adorable stuffed brain cells, cross-sections of an actual brain and psychology textbooks sitting on almost every table.

Amy Wilkerson (foreground left), along with Terrie Bechdel (center) and Erica Henningsen (right) discuss the structures of the brain with a student (background left)

The Psychology Department hosted the event, featuring professors Cheyne Bamford, Erica Henningsen, Allison Hagood, and Department Chair Amy Wilkerson.  The event was housed in room M3750, beginning at 4 p.m. and wrapping up around 6 p.m.  Professors Terrie Bechdel (Criminal Justice) and Jamey Trotter (English/Journalism Department) also stopped by for a slice and some psycho chat.

But there was so much more going on during the event dubbed Pizza With the Psychology Professors than just pizza chewing and the deconstruction of antiquated Freudian terms: students were able to approach professors they knew (or didn’t know) and gain insight into what their journey into the world of psychology might entail; psychology professors were able to pass on expertise and advice about the field they dedicated themselves to; and all who came ended up learning something important, whether it were about what courses were available in the Summer and Fall semesters, or which student might be interested in studying criminal justice and psychology.

The classic behavioral experiment: The Skinner Box

The intended goal of the event, according to Hagood, was to be an avenue of exploration for students who may be confused about psychology and other classes, to come and talk to psychology professors and get some targeted advice that could help figure out what a student is interested in.

“Having another avenue for students to get good guided information was the purpose of this — and also pizza,” she said.

The atmosphere was intellectual and light, with some students getting to know and understand their psychology professors a little better.

And some got to know their brains a little better, too.

When one student asked professor Hagood, whose background includes clinical and research experience with adult mental disorders (with a specialization in schizophrenia), which of her backgrounds she enjoyed more, clinical practice or research, she gave this answer:

Oh, that’s a tough one.  There’s a ton of fun discovering a principle that helps a bunch of people in that setting, but there’s a true joy in witnessing somebody make a recovery that they previously believed they couldn’t make.”

“After-Dinner Freud: One hundred parlor cards with questions and answers to stimulate the mind and provoke lively conversation”.

When another student inquired about their options for studying sexuality and gender, Professor Henningsen guided them with this anecdote: “If I could do it all over again, with no restrictions, I would go to Indiana — to the Kinsey Institute.  I would probably get my Ph.D. in Sexuality and Gender.”

Henningsen also mentioned during the conversation that in her past, a dog of hers was named Maslow (after Abraham Maslow), because the dog “met [her] safety and security needs.”

It’s moments like these that really illustrate why providing spaces and opportunities for professors and students to interact in a non-classroom environment is important.  While almost every student walked away from the event with knowledge in hand about their prospective future, they also walked away with a deeper understanding of who the people responsible for their education are.

This is an accurate representation of a brain cell. This is also adorable. Our brains are made up of 100 billion of these. Therefore, our brains are 100 billion times more adorable than we give them credit for.

But is there the possibility for more events like this with the Psychology Department here at ACC in the future?

“We’re gonna see the effectiveness of this [event] before we move forward, but who knows.  We will look at how successful this is before we try this again next semester.  We may do something else if that seems to be more effective,” said Hagood.

Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in an experiment demonstrating operant conditioning.

And while attendance was a bit lower than one might expect, what with the incumbent beckoning call of free food and college students’ propensity towards anything with ‘free’ or ‘food’ in the title, we may see more departments following suit in the future; but we also might not.

Perhaps Pi with Math Professors or Salad with a Sociology Professor?  Maybe Cookies with Criminal Justice or Nachos with Nursing.  Only the future will tell.

Are you considering a major in psychology?  Wondering about changing majors?  Registration for Summer courses has already opened, with plenty of seats still available in almost every class being offered, including several Psychology 101 courses.  Fall registration opens March 30th.  For more information regarding course registration, click here.  For more information regarding Psychology degree programs and courses available at ACC, click herehere or here.