ACC Student Government Holds Spring Carnival to Boost Student Interest in End-of-Semester Elections

Nerf darts flew towards a dry-erase board target, students stretched and giggled playing Twister, the smell of popcorn swam through the air, the clatter of a spinning wheel of prizes was unmistakable.

ACC Student Government Treasurer Nate Bertz giving the Spring Carnival’s prize wheel a spin. Photo credit: Scott Bright

This is the Spring Carnival, hosted by ACC’s Student Government in the second floor student lounge area.  The carnival was an attempt to promote the end-of-semester elections in which every electable position is open to be filled.

“At the end of the semester, Student Government is electing new officers for pretty much all positions.  We’re trying to promote that — trying to get students involved.” said Student Government President Tasha Estein.

The carnival offered various activities and prizes for students to win.  Bingo, Twister, a ping pong ball toss, a Nerf dart gun target and a prize wheel all gave students the opportunity to win some valuable prizes and get to know their own student-elected government.  ACC-branded cups and water bottles, candy and coffee cards to the first floor cafe were all offered to winners. A box of Russel Stouffers chocolates (valued at $50) and yoga mats were the top ticket items to be awarded.

Photo credit: Scott Bright

Every member of the Student Government was in attendance.  President Dianna Doyle even stopped by to show support — and shoot off a few darts.

The carnival wasn’t just for the students, as even government officials need a break from the meetings — even if they are students.  “Our meetings are very boring — at least compared to Twister”, Estein laughed.

Students and faculty alike spun the wheel, shot the Nerf darts, and tried their hand — or foot — at Twister.  “We need more stuff like this,” said one student, “I would definitely come to more of these events, especially if I knew about them beforehand.”

Three ACC students tangle themselves in a game of Twister at the Student Government Spring Carnival. The winner was awarded a large amount of tickets which were exchangeable for various prizes. Photo credit: Scott Bright

The carnival began at 2:00 p.m. and started to wind down around 4:30.  Prizes were doled out and many of the Student Government were beaming at the success of their event.

The event was “super successful,” said our student president, who also hailed the carnival as a “fun way to get Student Government involved. . . So [students] know who we are.”

Photo credit: Scott Bright

Meet Your Student Government

Below are the profiles that were displayed throughout the entire event on the central screen, showing personal statements from and about the officers themselves:

Your Arapahoe Community College Student Government officials, listed from the top:  Tasha Estein, President; Daniel Madero, Vice President; Ashley Anaya, Secretary; Nate Bertz, Treasurer; Leah Porter, SSAC Vice Chair, ACC Student representative.  Not shown: Social Media Committee Chair Dakota Christensen; Food Suggestion Committee Chair James Vogenthaler.  Slides courtesy of Tasha Estein.