Award-winning ‘Progenitor’ seeking contributions from all

Award-winning Progenitor seeking contributions from all

Image via Picasa

The Progenitor, ACC’s award-winning art and literary journal, is seeking submissions for the 2016 publication. Students, faculty and community members near and far are welcome to submit.

The submissions window opened Oct. 1, and the deadline is Feb. 15, 2016.

The journal, created and published in 12 weeks by the ENG 231 class, has served a unique role at ACC. Students must select submissions, organize the layout of the journal and edit the publication before it’s sent to the printers. Then, they promote the finished product to the school and community.

“Most of the students have never worked on a literary journal before, and many times, we have to go through three or four projects at once,” said Kathryn Winograd, lead advisor of the Progenitor. “But the students, who are so often writers, get the added bonus of sitting on the other side of the editor’s desk.

“They get to see what makes a submission professional and a publication worthy,”  said Winograd, who holds a doctorate in literature and creative writing from the University of Denver.

Changing technology has helped ease production of the literary journal. Writers, artists and photographers turn their work in to an online service known as “Submittable.” Here, staff members send mass emails to contributors, can organize and categorize submissions and work as a team to decide which submissions make the final cut.

Printers also have aided in the process, allowing for the whole journal to be uploaded in a single-file format. To help accomplish this, the Progenitor staff partners with MDG Capstone 281 class, taught by John Hall, Graphic and Design faculty leader.

“The journal benefits from the best talents of both groups,” Winograd said. “The literary folk become the ‘customers’ of the graphic design team, who in turn, lend their artistic and technical computer skills to the project.”

Progenitor’s 2015 edition won first place with special merit from the American Scholastic Press Association and earned second place in the southwestern division of the Community College Humanities Association’s annual literary magazine competition. In addition, the journal won an award for excellence from the University & College Designers Association.

Click here for submission guidelines and to submit to the Progenitor.

Kaitlyn Gartling was the assistant editor and co-promotions director for the 2014 Progenitor. She is not connected with the Progenitor now.