Stressed? Try the Fitness Center

Anthony Shaw
Anthony Shaw

Rush-hour traffic, bad restaurant servers and school all have something in common.

They cause stress. If you were to tell me school isn’t a stressor in your life then you’d be lying to the both of us. Stress can impact our performance in the classroom immensely. It can make or break a semester.

Here at ACC, many amenities are provided for students to help reduce the levels of stress induced in the classrooms.

The one I’m going to promote for you fine folks to take advantage of is the Fitness Center. I am an avid gym-goer, so I know how the gym affects (or should say deflects) stress in my life.

“Come down and give it a try,” said Kendra Hawkins, Fitness Center coordinator. “We have something down here that appeals to everyone.”

For those unaware of the Fitness Center’s location: It is in the Littleton Campus Annex Building, room 1600. All students at the Littleton campus with currently paid tuition and a student identification card have full access to it. (Students strictly at the Parker and Castle Rock campuses are not eligible). The Fitness Center opens at 6 a. m. Monday through Saturday but closing times vary. Monday through Thursday, it closes at 8 p.m. On Friday, the doors close at 2 p.m., and on Saturdays, it closes at noon. The Fitness Center doesn’t operate on Sundays.

The Fitness Center is loaded with gym equipment. It has Nautilus machines, free-motion machines, dumbbells, free weights, cardio machines, Expresso bikes (and video bikes), treadmills and – my personal favorite – the Stairmaster.

It also has a full basketball court.

Need some fitness-related advice? Don’t be shy about talking to the floor staffers. The Fitness Center is filled with employees equipped with Exercise Science degrees, so feel free to ask them anything.

In case you were wondering: Social connections are among the many experiences that occur there.

If you aren’t familiar with working out or simply enjoy fitness classes, you’re in luck.

The Fitness Center gives out 30 Fit Passes per semester. A Fit Pass gives you access to a number of classes including yoga, Zumba, Pilates and cycling. You can buy a Fit Pass at the Fitness Center at the office right by the entrance, or at the central desk.

Having been involved in yoga and cycling classes in the past, I can assure you that you look like one of the athletes on the Gatorade commercials when you walk out of a class.

It’s especially awesome because all that stress created in the classroom is wiped away with the sweat droplets on your forehead. You completely clear your mind of all the stresses and worries and rather shift your focus towards fitness, and surviving the class.

The level of refreshment post-fitness class is surreal. If a Fit Pass is something that appeals you, time is of the essence. Only a few passes are available for the remainder of the semester.

Meanwhile, remember that you’re reducing stress and bettering your physical well-being. Get a quick lift in before class, or read through your text assignments while riding the Expresso bike. It’s there for a reason. Your body and mind will thank you, trust me.

Anthony Shaw is a second semester student at ACC. He transferred from Washington State University where he played cornerback for the Cougars. He is a highly devoted powerlifter and health-enthusiast.