ACC President Dr. Diana Doyle Issues Statement Regarding Executive Order on Immigration

Dr. Diana Doyle, president of ACC.

Dr. Diana Doyle, president of ACC.

Following the executive order from President Trump on Friday, January 27th to restrict travelers from seven predominantly Muslim countries, Arapahoe Community College’s own President Dr. Diana Doyle released a statement via email addressing the order and concerns both faculty and staff might have in regards to the orders.

The executive order itself imposes heavy travel restrictions on those from (Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen), including a suspension of entry from both immigrants and nonimmigrants alike for 90 days following the date of the order.

Dr. Doyle emphasized mindfulness and extends support towards the ACC community as a whole, stating that ACC “pride[s] [itself] on being a place where all students, faculty, and staff feel safe, valued, heard, and supported.”

Advice specifically addressing students from the aforementioned countries was also given, advising that students from those countries should avoid travelling abroad until the exact impacts of the order can be worked out.

President Doyle finishes her email with a list of resources that can provide legal advice in the face of such uncertain times.

President Doyle’s email can be read in full below:

Dear ACC Community,

Last Friday, President Donald Trump signed an executive order that impacts immigration procedures for individuals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.  This action has resulted in confusion, concern, and anxiety across many communities as well as college campuses, as people react to the potential impact this executive order may have on individuals and family members.

In these challenging times it is important that we are mindful of and embrace our mission as a community college to provide an accessible, responsive learning environment for all who seek to enrich their lives through educational opportunities. We pride ourselves on being a place where all students, faculty, and staff feel safe, valued, heard, and supported. We welcome students, faculty, and staff from other countries as they enrich the learning environment for everyone on campus.

For now, we recommend that members of the campus community from the aforementioned countries not travel abroad until the courts have sorted out the impacts of the executive order and other changes in immigration policy.

ACC continues to maintain a strong commitment to the privacy of student and employee records, consistent with state and federal laws.  We do not provide information on immigration status to anyone except when required by law.  

Members of the ACC community seeking legal advice regarding their immigration status are encouraged to work with the many metro area resources:

Littleton Immigrant Resources Center

Office of Immigrant and Refugee Affairs, Denver Human Rights and Community Partnerships

Colorado Immigrant Rights Coalition

ADC – American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee

Immigration Advocates Network

Should you have any questions or concerns, employees may contact the ACC Human Resources office at [email protected].  Students may contact the Student Life office at 303.797.5668.

With care and peace,

Diana

The Arapahoe Pinnacle staff encourages any students or faculty affected by President Trump’s immigration executive order to tell us their story -or their take- about what’s happening.  Any and all questions, comments, tips, and concerns can be sent to the editor at [email protected]