#JDay16: ACC takes on CSU’s Journalism Day

On Thursday Oct. 20, more than 1400 high school students, advisers, and a sprinkling of middle school students flocked to Colorado State Universities’ Lory Student Center for the annual Colorado Student Media Associations Journalism day, known colloquially as JDay.

Arapahoe Community College’s own Jamey Trotter packed up a few Pinnacle staff members (editors Jennifer Roque, Scott Bright, and journalists Ashlyn Stetzel and Sam Baquet) and presented together on the ‘Benefits and Challenges of Online-Only Publications’.  Trotter and his gang were well received by the aspiring young journalists, who were happy to participate and learn more about online publications.

img_0403
Our intrepid gang. From left: Scott Bright, Jennifer Roque, Jamey Trotter, Ashlyn Stetzel, and Sam Baquet

Besides a multitude of colleges touting their journalism programs, there were four sessions offering more than 50 workshops, presentations and lectures.  All towards the goal of refining young journalists’ skills and, hopefully, encouraging students to pursue careers in journalism.

A sampling of some workshops and lectures included ‘Ethics Will Eat You Alive’, ‘Writing For Broadcasting’, ‘Coaching Skills for Editors’ and ‘Journalism: A Life of Adventure’.

img_0394
MVP: Most Valuable Photos

“This was our third JDay, and we garnered the most interest in our program at this one, most likely because of the amazing work that is the Pinnacle.  Kudos to my amazing staff,” Trotter smiled.

It was the first JDay in which Professor Trotter has taken students.  “I believe they actually learned something and had a good time to boot.”

img_0971
Inquisitive prospective journalists pick Jamey Trotter’s brain about ACC’s Journalism program

JDay was a great experience.  Surely we’ll see some fresh faces from JDay in ACC’s Journalism department down the road!

Photo credits to Ashlyn Stetzel and Scott Bright