New ACC librarian Oliver Batchelor enjoys helping students and staff

Photo by Casey Lansinger

Photo by Casey Lansinger

Humans of ACC is a series of Q&A presentations about students, faculty and staff.

Today’s focus is on Oliver Batchelor, reference librarian and ACC Library & Learning Common’s newest addition.

Arapahoe Pinnacle: Where did you work before you were hired by Arapahoe Library and Learning Commons? Was it a big change?

Oliver Batchelor: Prior to my current position, I was the “Campus Librarian” at Colorado Technical University-Aurora (CTU-Aurora). Basically, I was responsible for all library services on a very small campus (approx. 800 students). I conducted research classes, answered reference questions, manage the resources, and trained all staff members. The contrast between my previous role and my current one is enormous! The CTU Library had no books, DVDs, Music, Laptops, Kindles, iPads… well, you get the idea. It was one room with about 30-40 computers and student workers. I had always hoped that someday I would be working in a library with a much larger collection. I am in library heaven here!

AP: What are your biggest goals this semester in your new position as reference librarian?

OB: I have many goals for this semester. Some things like familiarizing myself with the day-to-day procedures of the library are already well underway. I also hope to create some life-changing library guides (well, a little hyperbole there, but they will be very good). Of all my goals, my biggest is to become familiar with our patrons. By this time next term, I hope to be on a first name basis with as many members of the community as possible. Plus, is there anything worse than being called “sir”?

AP: Why did you decide to pursue library science? How, and when, did you know you wanted to become a librarian?

OB: I always knew I wanted to work in higher education. All my life I’ve had a strong, if not somewhat codependent (is that possible?), relationship with books. I was a geeky kid who loved to read all the time. In fact, my sixth grade teacher told me I was not allowed to bring a book to class for fear that I would spend too much time reading (and not enough time paying attention). Plus, I’ve always loved to help others and knew I’d pursue a “career in helping” someday.

My decision to pursue a career in library science, however, can be traced back to a specific moment during my college years. On a rainy and muggy day in central Ohio, I was in a Psychology lecture course with about fifty other students crammed into a space designed to accommodate maybe 40 people. The librarian was visiting our course and struggling to keep everyone’s attention. In fact, it seemed like he would rather be anywhere else. It was at this moment that I said to myself, “I can do WAY better than this!” I had only just discovered the databases and other resources available to me and was shocked that no one had told me about them before.

Above all else, I believe that if you’re not in this to help the students, you’re in the wrong profession.

AP: As a librarian, you’re surrounded by books daily. Have you read any good books lately?

OB: I just finished “City on Fire” by Garth Risk Hallberg and am completely mesmerized. It’s a “Bonfire of the Vanities”-esque panoramic novel of New York City in the 1970s told through the eyes of many different characters. I didn’t want it to end!

Much like our 16th president, I believe that a friend is anyone who gives me a book I haven’t read. If you have any recommendations, hunt me down!