The student publication of Arapahoe Community College in Colorado

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

Campus Police Initiate Emergency “Secure” Response

Police pursuit of theft suspect results in campus lockout

The Arapahoe Community College Police Department sent out a “Secure Alert” message to students and staff on Thursday, Nov. 16 at 6:10 p.m. due to “police activity” that was occurring west of the college’s Littleton campus. An incident report of the activity revealed that the police were pursuing a theft suspect along South Santa Fe Drive and South Sumner Street. 

The report, which included the transcribed conversation of on-scene officers, indicated that the pursuit began at a traffic stop after the suspect fled the vehicle. The officers on scene, who were with the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, requested backup from the Littleton Police Department. 

The Secure Alert was sent on Thursday, Nov. 16 at 6:10 p.m. Students were instructed to contact their instructors if they were unable to attend their classes due to the lockout.

The officers initially identified the suspect as a Hispanic female wearing an orange shirt and one Croc shoe but later determined that they were a Hispanic male. A dispatch note stated that he allegedly stole from Target. 

The suspect ran westbound from South Vinewood Street and West Maplewood Avenue. An ACC Campus Police unit arrived at the scene of the traffic stop where Douglas County deputies were holding the three remaining occupants of the vehicle at gunpoint. 

Due to the close proximity of the male suspect, ACC campuses issued a Secure Alert to ensure campus safety.

Recipients of the notification were instructed to immediately return to the Littleton campus building or leave the vicinity before officers secured the perimeter, after which, no one was permitted to enter or exit the building. 

The police officers searched Hudson Gardens and the Denver Seminary, prompting both locations to enter secure status. A few officers also searched the Platte River trail and released a drone to survey the area. Despite their continued efforts, they could not locate the suspect and abandoned the search. 

The college’s Secure Alert was deactivated at 6:53 p.m., about 45 minutes after it was issued. Staff and students received an “All Clear” message at 7:01 p.m. notifying them that it was safe to enter and exit the building. 

If you have any concerns regarding this incident or any others, contact the campus police at 303-797-5800 or submit an anonymous report through the “Refer a Concern” form on the college’s website.