The student publication of Arapahoe Community College in Colorado

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

The Arapahoe Pinnacle

Party with the Stars on Monday, November 13th

Image via Kelvin Cross
    Telescope at the Astronomy Party at Arapahoe Community College in Littleton, Colo., on Oct. 25, 2019.

The Arapahoe Community College Astronomy program chair, Jennifer Jones, will host an Astronomy Star Party on Monday, November 13, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the Littleton Campus’ West Lawn or room M3730 (depending on the weather). She will have her Celestron telescope out on the West Lawn for anyone to view as she helps direct toward the numerous beauties of the sky.

Visibility may allow viewers to see deep-sky sights like clusters, nebulas, galaxies, and planets. Commonly known examples of these sights include Andromeda Galaxy and Orion Nebula. In the event that the weather forces the star party indoors, Jones has a low-tech planetarium that projects stars on the ceiling, meteorite samples, and simulated soil samples from Mars to keep the party going. 

Jones has been hosting Star Parties since 2017; despite a drop in frequency during the COVID-19 pandemic years, they have begun ramping back up. Monday’s Star Party will be the second of its kind this semester, with the first having been on October 2, followed by a special eclipse event later that month. Jones welcomes all to the Star Party, stating, “They are completely open to anyone in the public, there are snacks, there will be stars, we will have a good ole time, and everyone’s welcome.” No RSVP is needed, and the Star Party will be held in an open-house forum, so attendees are welcome to come and go at their pleasure.

Monday’s forecast shows a lovely autumn evening, so dress warmly and join the Astronomy department for a fun night in the sky.