Faces of ACC: Kristi Strother- Campus Navigator/Instructor

Image via Lucas Miller

Kristi Strother at the Sturm Collaboration Campus on May 4, 2021.

Navigating through college is not an easy process. College can bring about stress and anxiety in students as they figure out what they want to study and do with their lives. Luckily for students at Arapahoe Community College, Kristi Strother, Campus Navigator/Instructor is passionate about helping students find their path and navigating their way through college.

As a young girl, Strother was very curious, some might call it nosey, which she believes drove her passion for journalism. She loved telling stories, communicating with others, interviewing people with a hairbrush that she used as a microphone, and sharing information with communities. In high school, she became a writer for her school newspaper, where she learned the basics of journalism and eventually worked her way up to become the school editor. Upon graduating high school, Strother went on to earn her Bachelor of Arts degree from the Journalism College at the University of Oregon. Strother continued her education at Fort Hays State University where she obtained her master’s degree in English.

Upon completing college, Strother landed her first job working for Gannett Newspaper Publishers in Washington State, where she spent the first sixteen years of her career. Strother then moved to Colorado Springs and worked for the Colorado Springs Gazette. Her journalism career eventually led her to a position as a professor at the Community College of Denver. Strother was the department chair of journalism at CCD for over eight years and worked as a part of the English faculty for twelve years. In 2018, Strother started at Arapahoe Community College in the English department. In the summer of 2019, she transitioned into her current role as Campus Navigator/Instructor at ACC’s new, Sturm Collaboration Campus in Castle Rock.

For Strother, going to work every day is inspiring and rewarding. She truly cares for the students and is committed to serving them in any way she can. She works hard to open doors and give students opportunities beyond the classroom. As the Campus Navigator, Strother provides students with the tools they need to be successful such as, helping to explore their academic and career pathways, providing advice on what is needed to receive a certificate or degree in a desired field of study, assisting students who want to transition to a four-year university, helping to find internships, and eventually helping soon-to-be graduates find employment. Strother says that her biggest accomplishment comes from watching students achieve their goals and their dreams. “Whether they are big or small goals, it is exciting and rewarding to see students work hard, sacrifice, struggle but then achieve great things. It makes me happy to know I played a small role in students achieving what they want.”

Sharing information is something Strother has done throughout her entire career, whether it was working for the media, or for the past 20+ years in higher education. “Communication is essential for students to be successful in their pursuits and I enjoy knowing that my job helps students with their goals!”

When Strother is not helping the student body at Arapahoe Community College, she enjoys spending time in the beautiful Colorado Rocky Mountains, going to a Rockies baseball game, riding her motorcycle, traveling to new places, and participating as a member of the Society of Professional Journalist.