Student Heidi Kirchner sees French in her future

Humans of ACC is a series of Q&A presentations about students, faculty and staff.

Today’s focus is on Heidi Kirchner, current ACC student

Heidi Kirchner
Carolyn jarvis
Heidi Kirchner

Arapahoe Pinnacle: What is your major and what are your specific goals you plan on achieving with it?

Heidi Kirchner: My major, depending on where I transfer, will be French or Applied Linguistics. I would love to be a translator but I think my ultimate goal with either one of these majors is to be a relief worker or a literacy specialist and be on the front lines in third-world countries in order to help others in a way that would be most beneficial to them.

AP: What inspired you to pursue this?

HK: I’ve traveled quite a bit outside of the U.S. and almost every time I have felt so handicapped not knowing any other languages besides English. My last trip was to France and on the plane I sat next to a German exchange student who spoke three languages fluently. I was pretty embarrassed when I had to tell her the only language I spoke was English.

AP: How was the transition from high school to community college?

HK: After High School I took a gap year so that I could travel, volunteer, and work. So I didn’t go straight from high school to college. I had an entire year to grow and mature and I even got to live in Africa for two months right before the first day of school.

HK (continuing): The hardest part about transitioning to community college was actually the reverse culture shock I got after coming back from Rwanda.

AP: What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?

HK: This is a tough one. I love to read with a passion. It actually gets in the way of homework and the reading that I actually have to do for a grade. I also love to bike ride, hike, watch movies, annoy my dogs and hang out with friends.