Hair, Nails, and Management

Assorted-color makeup brushes on white surface. (Photo via Unsplash,com/GlowRepose)

When getting a Cosmetology license, most students tend to dream of opening their own business. Due to popular demand, ACC started a 30-credit Salon Management program in 2018 so their students can fulfill those dreams.

Connie Strain, who was 47 years old when she got her master’s degree in management and organization at CU Denver, began her career with ACC as a part time instructor 17 years ago and now runs the Cosmetology department as Department Chair. Strain is also the Department Chair of Business, Management, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Accounting.

The Salon Management AAS supplies students with the skills necessary to successfully run a business, whether it’s their own or someone else’s. The skills students will gain are accounting, marketing, management, knowledge of legal aspects of business, and public speaking.

If the student has their Cosmetology license, they can come from any school or state to get their Salon Management degree. And for a total of 60 credits, students can get both their Cosmetology license and Salon Management degree through ACC.

When determining what was going to be offered with this degree, the advisory board for Colorado’s Finest High School of Choice’s came together to decide on what courses were most important for those looking to get into management or out on their own. “When they leave here, not only would we hope they’d have their Cosmetology license in hand, but also be comfortable with moving up in the company they’re with to a managerial position or taking that big step and going out on their own.” Strain said. ACC hopes to soon open up the Salon Management program to those who have their esthetician license.

“I just have a real passion for seeing students come in and not be so sure of themselves and what they want to do, and then by the time they leave with all this great education they get here they’re really motivated to either continue at a four year school or go right out into the workforce,” Strain said.

For more info on the Cosmetology program, click here.