Drunk Goggle Mario Kart: Drunk and Distracted Driving Prevention at ACC

Four+players+in+their+sober+run+on+Mario+Kart.+

Image via Kera Morris

Four players in their ‘sober’ run on Mario Kart.

There’s a gathering pulling itself together in the student lounge on the second floor, complete with signs, snacks, and giveaways available to students interested in the current goings-on that are so frequent in the college.

A series of the soft, comfortable chairs a lot of us like to plop down in to study are arranged in a semi-circle in front of a large flat screen TV, set up for video games. A table holding a four-piece set of odd-looking goggles stands nearby. Georgia Skinner, a student here at Arapahoe Community College, puts on a pair while waiting.

“I have four hands!” she laughs, as she waves her arms in front of her face.

“That’s hilarious… walk around!” encourages another student, Ian Afman.

As Georgia stumbles and weaves around the small area on ACC’s second floor wearing Drunk Goggles, other students set up their characters for a round of Mario Kart.

Image via Kera Morris
Student Georgia Skinner can’t seem to focus!

Holly Adinoff, Coordinator of Student Organizations, has set up this fun, hilarious event in partnership with the Law Enforcement Academy and Campus Police. The concept is to make students really think about the choices they make when it comes to driving after having a drink (or three.) The goggles vary in levels of ‘drunkenness,’ leaving some students nauseated and wobbly even once they’ve taken the goggles off.

“My hands are shaking,” says Georgia, holding them out. “You can’t drive when you’re drunk!”

Image via Kera Morris
A helpful infographic.

Adinoff looks on, keeping an eye on everyone in case anyone starts to feel poorly. “The point is to provide education… about drunk and distracted driving. We’re using fun to engage students in serious consideration.”

After the students finish their initial ‘sober’ race, it’s time to don the drunk goggles. Much giggling aside, the race is terrible. As players weave in and out of 10th, 11th place and drive off the road to sail merrily into open space, one player wows the crowd by pulling ahead to take 1st.

“Give him stronger glasses,” suggests another student.

All in all, good times were had… and warnings students have been hearing all their lives became a little more real.

Holly Adinoff invites students to another event: “Have a Little Pot” starts Thursday, April 19 at 11:00 a.m. in the second-floor student lounge.

“Stop by the 2nd floor student lounge on Thursday, April 19th and Friday, April 20th to pot a small plant with us and learn about marijuana misuse and abuse. You get to take your potted plant home with you!”

For more information or accommodations, please contact Holly Adinoff at [email protected] or stop by the Student Life office in M2840.