Shakespeare, Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “A Walk in the Woods” – Some Would Say This is the Crème de le Crop of Dinner Party Conversation

Literature allows us the opportunity to step into someone else’s world, experience their reality, and gain perspectives far different from our own. Professor of literature and program adviser for ACC’s long-standing Great Books of the West program, Juliet Hubbell described literature with words such as “real longevity” and “wit purely for the joy of being funny.”

Amongst the literature community, many would say they find joy, and sometimes solace, in gathering as a group to discuss the theme, plot and characters of a good book. University of Chicago educators Robert Maynard Hutchins and Mortimer Adler thought so too, and so in the 1940’s, the Great Books Program was created. According to the official history page, “Passionate readers meeting to discuss ensuring ideas” was the original vision. They observed an inclining interest in lasting literary works, both as a higher education pursuit, and simply the sharing of great literature.

Hutchins and Adler created a list of Great Authors such as Aristotle, Shakespeare, and Emerson – just to name a few – and started leading discussion groups. However, many others have since been added to the list by program facilitators. ACC has added the works of Edgar Allen Poe, Katherine Anne Porter, Joseph Campbell, and John-Paul Sartre.

Hubbell said the Great Books program is most prevalent in the K12 sector of education, but don’t worry, the Great Books program is still alive in the higher levels of education.

ACC is one of only six remaining community college programs in the United States and offers students a recognition-certificate upon completion of four great books courses. The literary works are integrated into the curriculum of specific sections in courses you may already be taking. With many Great Book knowledgeable professors at ACC, students will have an experienced human aide to lead in active discussions and expand their understanding.

We will have to wait until Summer/Fall 2018 registration opens on March 6th to discover the next set of great books courses available to us. Though, there will likely be many — 30 courses are being offered this fall in a variety of departments including biology, English, history, humanities, literature and psychology.

For more information on the Great Books program please visit M4690, advising, or click here.