A Fine Feather in the Cap of the Capstone Readings

Image via Greg Dobbs

Capstone Reading lineup, Spring 2017

As the sun began to set into the snow-capped mountains in the background, four Creative Writing graduates delivered their Capstone performances in the Library on an incredible albeit windy Spring day at ACC.

Dr. Kathy Winograd, English Department Chair, introduced the speakers and spoke of their work, and where they intend to go next in terms of education and life.

Image via Greg Hobbs
Professor Winograd welcomes the audience.

Ahja Fox forefronted the reading with two beautiful selections, one of which is published in the Arapahoe Pinnacle, “Transfiguration of a Woman.” Fox won the 2016/2017 Writers Studio Scholarship for Creative Writing. She is currently the president of ACC’s Writers Studio Club. Her goals are to publish in various writing sources, finish producing at least one book draft, and to open a dance studio that caters to children and the disabled. Fox will receive her AA degree with a Creative Writing Emphasis this spring. She plans to pursue her writing career with Adams State University.

Ahja Fox opened the Capstone Reading and set the bar high with excellent stories.

Joni Dobbs followed with a science fiction story. Dobbs won the 2016 Docket prize in poetry for the Art and Literature contest judged by the Colorado Attorney for the Arts. Her poem, also published in The Pinnacle, “Ode to the Fountain Pen,” was written in an Introduction to Creative Writing class here at ACC. Dobbs will be returning to her home in Massachusetts and has plans to continue her education and writing.

Image via Greg Dobbs
Joni Dobbs interacts with the audience.

Jessica Bernal won the 2016 Writers Studio Club Student-Judged contest for her poem, “Weeping Willow.” She will receive her AA degree with the Creative Writing Area of Interest this summer. In the fall, Jessica plans to study English and Writing at the University of Colorado at Denver.

Abbey Jones delighted with her piece, “The Thorns.” Jones won the poetry and prose categories in ACC’s 2016 Writers Studio Club Student-judged contest and is a member of ACC’s Writers Studio Student Club. Jones will receive her AA degree with a Creative Writing Emphasis this spring. Abbey will continue to pursue a writing career with Adams State University, an institution with which ACC enjoys a transfer agreement in creative writing.

A solid crowd enjoyed the written art of these dedicated and talented students, among them many fellow creative writing classmates. Friends and family celebrated the work. The Creative Writing program at ACC is one of the best amongst the entire 13-college system, and the capstone readings are always high-quality and quite remarkable.

Image via Greg Dobbs
Capstone Reading with family, writers, and students. From left to right: Deanna Hanson, Abbey Jones, Joni Hobbs and Ahja Fox

As the Spring 2017 semester suddenly seems to want to end, the fine line between a desire that it indeed end and the wish that this could last forever — this feeling we get when we are witness to the growth of a human, to achievement — echoes in the sun in the fine particles floating ever so soft, while outside the winds whip.

Image via Greg Dobbs
View from inside the Library @ACC