Clothesline Project hangs in remembrance at ACC, April 18 – 22

Image via Savannah Putman

ACC Student Life hosted a Clothesline Project on Monday, April 18, in the second floor atrium. This project is part of a week-long installment in support of Sexual Assault Awareness to Action Month. The installment will be in place through April 22.

Dozens of students participated in the event by creating zines, magnets, and sharing a testimonial on how s/he would become an active bystander if witnessing an assault. Answers were encouraged to be “nonviolent” and the event moderators gave practical suggestions such as alerting campus police of the occurrence.

There is a clothesline hanging around the second floor atrium that displays affirmations of support, statistics of sexual violence, and brave statements from victims. It is a powerful display of healing and support.

Student Life had a table set up with an opportunity to spin the wheel and win ACC schwag, after students shared a testimonial on the board. One student felt that it was inappropriate to be winning prizes at such an event, but it seemed to attract participation in an otherwise difficult subject.

The event overlapped other events from the Bible Study Group and the Veterans Club, which helped attract attention and participation at all the tables.